Melomakarona-Traditional Greek Christmas Cookies drenched in honey-based syrupMaria Adamopoulou
Let’s Celebrate with a great and tasty Melomakarona Recipe, the Traditional Greek Christmas Cookies!
• 3 cups Euzoea Olive Oil
• Half a Cup of Cognac
• Half a Cup of Orange Juice and a half spoon of Orange zest
• 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves
• 1 cup sugar
• 9 cups wheat flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 3 cups sugar
• 2 cups greek Euzoea honey
• 3 cups water
• 1 cup walnuts
- Mix the Euzoea Olive oil, cognac, orange juice, the spices, the orange zest and the sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk until all the ingredients are finely blended.
- Sift half the flour into another bowl and then add the baking soda, the baking powder and the salt. Mix well and add it to the Oil and Spices mixture. Continue beating to blend thoroughly.
- Then add the remaining wheat flour until the dough becomes firm. You can add as much flour as you deem necessary so that the dough is not too liquid. The best way to mix the ingredients is by using your hands. So you might need extra flour to use for your hands too.
- When done, start rolling the dough into small balls, flatten them and place them on sheets which have been greased with some Euzoea Olive Oil.
- Bake at 200 C for about 20 minutes, or until they turn slightly golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool. Ideally, let them cool for a day.
Then, the next day, prepare the Honey Syrup by adding all the ingredients and boil to simmer until the sugar dissolves.
- Get the cookies on a large rimmed pan and pour the hot honey syrup over them and
- Then Sprinkle them with the finely chopped walnuts.
- Let them soak overnight!
And they are ready to Enjoy!
May your Christmas be Sweet and Merry!