Interesting Facts About Olive Oil You Didn’t KnowMaria Adamopoulou
Olive Oil is a highly nutritious staple that is extracted from Olive trees, thriving around and being native primarily to the Mediterranean regions. The spread of Olive Trees dates back to 8000 years, while the oldest Olive Tree in the world is said to be found in Crete and it is estimated to be about 3000 years old.
There are many different varieties of Olive Trees but they all seem to have one thing in common. They produce one of the Earth’s most valuable fruits. As Thomas Jefferson once wrote, “ The Olive Tree is the richest gift of Heaven”.
The impressive and outstanding significance of Olive Oil is summed up in the following facts:
- As proved by multiple studies and research groups around the world, consuming more than four tablespoons per day can significantly decrease the risk of heart attack, stroke, heart disease, type 2 Diabetes, osteoporosis, arthritis, depression, skin cancer, breast cancer.
- If integrated into a proper diet and followed by a healthy lifestyle, it can lower the cholesterol levels, as it is full in “healthy fats”, similar to the ones found in fish. It’s the same type of fats that help fight depression.
- It controls insulin levels.
- It is full of polyphenols. These are antioxidants that help fight and prevent the spread of radicals in human bodies. They also boost the immune system and help maintain the body at a healthier condition.
- It has a great positive impact on digestion and the peptic system as its “fats” support healthy digestion. Your Pancreas and Intestine equally enjoy a helpful impact as olive oil is essential to the production of certain enzymes and hormones.
- This is why it creates a sense of fullness to the stomach helping weight loss.
- Its benefits on brain function and memory are mesmerizing. This is because it is high in essential brain vitamins such as Vitamin E & K. Vitamin E works towards maintaining good memory and reducing the possibility of Alzheimer’s disease while Vitamin K keeps your brain processing speedy and sharp.
- It is one of the oldest and the best beauty products in human history. As women from all civilisations took advantage of its powerful and moisturizing qualities.
And some fun facts about Olive Oil:
- 95% of all production takes place in the Mediterranean.
- Spain is the number one producer but Greece is the country whose people use it on a daily basis.
- 11 pounds of olives produce a kilo of Olive Oil.
- The world consumes over 2 million tons of Olive Oil every year.
- If stored appropriately, it can last forever. (The oldest Olive Oil found dates as far back as 8000 years ago)
- …. And guess what? Olives are fruits.
Stay tuned because more interesting posts will be coming your way, shortly.